Friday, April 6, 2012

Contemplation... and Aslan.

It's Good Friday. What else better to do than to contemplate the goodness of our existence and the profound sacrifice of Christ with a little help from C.S. Lewis? I've recently made the resolution to re-read the Chronicles of Narnia books. I read all of them in a book club back in the dinosaur days, but it's time that I reinforce my great appreciation for the books with a little revisit to Narnia. I do have the entire series on audio, but I wanted the real thing, so I went around the house and rounded up my paperbacks.
It's amazing how much more the books mean to me both spiritually and intellectually now that I'm older. I'm so excited to get Clive back in my life. Plus, Aslan is the man.

I finished A Separate Peace yesterday. Fannntastic book. I wasn't sure where it was headed because kind of throughout the book, you're trying to pin down a solid plot, but in the end, everything makes tragic sense and you're left wanting more. I highly recommend the read. Its only like 200 pages.

I don't wanna work today. Womp womp. This restaurant business is kinda like going to kindergarden with a lot of adults. But there are no naps involved. And the only finger painting is when you pick up a salad and accidentally stick your hand into the side of dressing. Nevertheless, I will soldier on because by golly I am getting paid for this. Let's all cross our fingers that people feel like being generous tippers tonight.

I wonder how much it costs to make road signs. The other day, I saw about 5 in a row that said "Left lane must turn left." They were literally one behind the other. Frivolous, I tell you.

This is one of the only sunny Good Fridays I can remember.

Have you ever noticed that you're only REALLY hungry on the days you're supposed to fast? On a normal day, I would do just fine but the knowledge that I'm not supposed to eat very much is making mah tummy growl.

I have it in my mind to go sit on the roof and think deep things. I think I will.

So, on this Good Friday, I am contemplative about the undeserved sacrifice that Christ made for us in dying on the Cross. I think of Mary, watching her own son have nails pounded into his feet and hands. I think of all of Christ's friends, the people who loved him, who watched Christ suffer, our God in the flesh. He chose to suffer that we may live. His love for us conquers death, and the resurrection of Christ is the reality of life-- that it only begins on earth. I am sorrowful today, but on Sunday, Christ is risen, and in that, I find insurmountable joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment