Thursday, April 23, 2009

Without You

Walking this pier at dusk
I long for some sweet comfort.
My eyes search the wide sea but it yields no sign of you.

A bitter gust holds a promise of winter in its whisper
and I must be without you.
The tide's surge pushing up the sands
tries to soothe my soul.

The rocky cliffs under the lighthouse
break the rhythm of the tide and calms the sea's fury.
The sea birds seem to cry with me yet I am loath to
depart this lonely, beautiful place

The grey blue dusk of late autumn blends in with the slate sea
as distant whitecaps are cold against the sky.
The salty air and wet wind slap my cheek and blow through my hair
And you're not here.

A barge, rusty and silent, cuts through the waves and makes its path
to where I wish I could go-
Anywhere to escape my own thoughts.
I'm desperate to leave, yet I cannot tear myself away from this place.

Worn with salt spray and sun, this pier is old and wise.
It will hold me as I stand,
waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment